Are you among those who can't make ends meet because you have been living paycheck to paycheck? If so, chances are it's because you're in debt.
Proverbs 22:7 tells us that "The borrower is slave to the lender"... This is so true, especially in America where there is a pandemic of over-use of credit cards!
My husband and I have been debt-free since 2012, because (1) we wanted to live according to Scripture; and (2) because we got tired of owing others and paying interest.
I'm hoping this pandemic will serve as a wake-up call for many who have been over-spending for years, thanks to their handy-dandy credit cards; and, as a result, don't have any savings whatsoever - not even enough to get them through just a couple of months of unemployment....
Financial guru Dave Ramsey offers the following to help people become debt-free:
1. Cut up your credit cards to prevent any more frivolous spending. Become "gazelle intensive" about getting out of debt.
2. Start paying OFF all your bills, starting with the smallest first. You don't need to be a slave to some financial institution for the rest of your life!
3. Tighten your belt, basically subsisting on "beans and rice, rice and beans" until you've paid off all your debts. Cut your lifestyle to the bones! Remember, it was your debt-lifestyle that got you into this mess!
4. Do not go to restaurants unless you work there!
5. Get an second job if you have to, in order to accomplish your goal of becoming debt-free! If you're unemployed, FIND a job doing something that will provide an income - even if it means delivering pizzas or scrubbing equipment at your local fast food restaurant. (Even in the current pandemic, there ARE jobs!)
In case you don't realize it, only the Government can "overspend its income!" YOU can't! But you CAN live within your means; it's just that sometimes you gotta change the "means"...
Being debt-free is actually scriptural. I promise you - it's a GREAT feeling to be financially independent.
1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all evil; because of this craving, some people have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves to the heart with many pains.
Luke 14:28 Don't build a tower unless you have the funds to finish it.